Mountain View School District
Attendance Policy for Distance/Virtual Learners
2nd Quarter: 2020-2021 School Year
Due to the COVID 19 Pandemic, the Mountain View School District understands that some students need to be distance learners due to medical concerns for the student and family. The Mountain View School faculty desires to provide quality instruction and prepare them for success in post-secondary education. We also want to ensure that students receive the academic support necessary to complete the course and keep the student engaged.
Attendance for distance/virtual learners is two-part since the student is not physically with the teacher for instruction and monitoring.
- The student is required to log in to Google Classroom everyday of each class to complete the attendance requirement. Some courses may require a student to join a Google Meet or Zoom meeting for the attendance requirement of the day.
- The student is required to complete work for each class in Google Classroom. Students are required to submit completed work back to the teacher within the given time period given for each lesson.
Mountain View Elementary Students must complete attendance assignment each school day.
Distance learning requires continuous communication and consistent work for the student to be successful. If a student experiences technology issues, the student or parent should contact the school building office to report the problem as well as email teachers as soon as possible.
Students need to contact their teachers when any of the following occur so that an excused absence can be recorded:
- Student illness or attendance at a medical appointment
- Death or serious illness of the immediate family
- Observance of recognized holidays observed by the student’s faith
- Attendance at an appointment with a government agency
- School sponsored events
- Student visiting a parent or legal guardian who is a member of the military and been called to active duty, is on leave from active duty, or has returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting.
All documentation can be sent to the school building office. Prior notification of an absence is preferred.
Students who do not log in to Google Classroom and complete the attendance form as well as complete assignments for more than 6 days during the term can be referred to the prosecuting authority for juvenile court along with the parent, guardian, or persons in loco parentis.
Students who have failing grades may be required to return to on-site instruction.
Teacher availability hours: Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. to 3:20 p.m. Any communication after 3:00 p.m., may not be addressed until the following school day.